Am I going to be too bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanlee19

Reaction score
Brewing an ipa with extract and shooting for big flavor and aroma. Software telling me I'm at 79 IBUs. Planning to add 3lbs of the dme and start the 60 min boil and add the remaining 3lbs of dme and wheat @ 15. I know that less malt will lower the hop utilization of the warrior so should I be ok bitter wise or lower the warrior to .5oz? I don't want it to sweet either.

6 lbs light Pilsen DME
.5 lb weat malt
1lb crystal 40- steeping grains

.75 oz warrior @ 60
.50 oz Amarillo @ 15
.50 oz citra @ 15
.25oz Amarillo @ 5
.25 oz citra @ 5
.25 oz Amarillo @ flame out
.25 oz citra @ flame out

1 oz Amarillo dry hop
1 oz citra dry hop

Cali wlp001

I'm

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Less malt will not lower the hop utilization, if anything it would be the opposite. If I understand it's not actually the higher gravity of the wort that that leads to the lower utilization but the additional break material from larger grainbills.

I would ditch the 15 minute additions and increase the 5 and 0 minute additions (half ounce of each hop variety in each of those additions at least). I've basically done away with middle boil additions lately and think it really showcases the hop aroma/flavor well.

How big is your boil? That's actually what defines how many IBUs will be in the beer.

What I mean is this- say you have a recipe for 70 IBUs. If you start with 6.5 gallons and boil down to 5 gallons, you'll have around 70 IBUs (although it's not an exact calculation).

But say you have a recipe for 70 IBUs and you boil 3.5 gallons. Then, at then end when you have 2.5 gallons of cooled wort, that wort has 70 IBUs. Then you add 2.5 gallons of top off water with 0 IBUs. That means the resulting 5 gallons has 35 IBUs, no more, since the wort was diluted 50% with water.

If your doing a full boil, that won't matter and the wort gravity won't impact hops utilization either.

Going to have 4 ga going at 60 and will add 1 ga at 15 with the late dme addition. I've adjusted the hops to leave the .75 of warrior at 60, but reduced the 15 to .25 each and upped the flame out to .5 oz.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

that makes things confusing to think about. add the DME to the boil dry then top off with a gallon of pre boiled water.

Back