Am I allergic or what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps it's not the beer, perhaps you should stop toasting with your cat ... or maybe the bottles are dusty, if you were alergic to the beer, there would be others symptoms like swelling.

When you say certain beers, what do you mean? I have a friend who is alergic to wheat beers.... His nose gets stuffy and he sneazes.

You could be alergic to any ingredient in beer. What do these beers have in common?

Could be anything such as barley, wheat, rye, ect...

Beer doesn't do it to me, but if I drink Bailey's on the rocks, it usually makes me sneeze and it's not carbonated. It must just be some minor allergy. Bright sun light also makes me sneeze, but there are never other symptoms.

When you say certain beers, what do you mean? I have a friend who is alergic to wheat beers.... His nose gets stuffy and he sneazes.

You could be alergic to any ingredient in beer. What do these beers have in common?

Could be anything such as barley, wheat, rye, ect...
Well, I have not noticed really a certain brand of beer that makes me sneeze.
I usually drink Coopers Brewmaster Pielsner, Morgan's Canadian Blonde and Coopers Stout ...

Certain flavors or sudden cold air have been known to cause a sneezing reflex. Your oral/nasal mucosa can be stimulated by the different flavors of beer and release histamine to cause you to sneeze, also.

Advice: Find out which beers cause you to sneeze and, if it bothers you, take an OTC zyrtec before drinking that beer. Good luck.
-Jefe-

I noticed I would get a stuffy head and nose after drinking a few hefeweizen homebrews. I went to see an allergist and was told I am allergic to molds, mildew, yeast, etc and should avoid hard cheeses, beer, sour dough breads.

I was crushed and didn't want to eliminate those things from my diet. So, I avoid brewing beers with low flocculating yeast (like hefeweizens) and brew with yeast that flocculates well so I can keep the yeast out of my pint glass.

And I take an Allegra every day. That's what works for me.

Back