Aluminium or Stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstring78

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to get together all the equipment I need to start brewing all-grain and was wondering: is there any difference between using stainless steel vs. aluminium vessels?

I use heavy walled aluminum...i got a 10 gallon kettle for $60....find a stainless 10 gallon for that much. I don't think I'll ever go to steel.

Thanks for the links and the responses! It's a big help.
And of course I didn't do a search, otherwise I wouldn't be asking the question here. :)

I use heavy walled aluminum...i got a 10 gallon kettle for $60....find a stainless 10 gallon for that much. I don't think I'll ever go to steel.

You can get 15.5 gallon stainless kettles for $30-60. :D

I am in the process of upgrading to 20 gallons and at $71 a piece I doubt anything steel can compare for price. Aluminum all the way, saves a ton.

Ahh, one of the great debates! Beans or no beans in your chili? Kansas City or North Carolina BBQ? Jar sauce or fresh? I wanted to get SS, but decided to get Al to save money. I'm still at the beginner stage of brewing, so brewing in a modified 15.5 gallon brewpot is outta the question (for now...) I got my 40 qt. (using quarts makes it sound bigger) Al. pot for $63 delivered. I haven't tasted the beer I made in it yet. That's still another 2 months away (Guinness Foreign Extra Stout clone).

Ahh, one of the great debates! Beans or no beans in your chili? Kansas City or North Carolina BBQ? Jar sauce or fresh? I wanted to get SS, but decided to get Al to save money. I'm still at the beginner stage of brewing, so brewing in a modified 15.5 gallon brewpot is outta the question (for now...) I got my 40 qt. (using quarts makes it sound bigger) Al. pot for $63 delivered. I haven't tasted the beer I made in it yet. That's still another 2 months away (Guinness Foreign Extra Stout clone).

Did you do a FES clone as your first ever? That's a hell of a cherry popper. what's the recipe? I really like that but read it was a **tch to clone.

I got an 8 gal aluminum pot for 25$, so that pretty much beats everything else I could find, and it works well. oh, the downside is that since the pot is so light, it floats when I try to do a water bath.

Back