Alternative StarSan uses: cleaning wiper fluid nozzles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmw

Reaction score
Just a quick tip about using StarSan to clean wiper fluid nozzles. I have an older car that I've been keeping up, but one difficult issue is to unclog the wiper fluid nozzles. In my case, both nozzles have 3 spray ports, and only one on each was still spraying wiper fluid, rendering them basically useless. I tried several hacks described online, including using a needle to scrape away the mineralized depots with little luck. StarSan to the rescue...

I used a plastic pipette from one of my refractometer kits and carefully added a small drop of undiluted StarSan to each sprayer port on each nozzle and let them sit overnight to dissolve these deposits. Given that StarSan is made up of phosphoric acid and other ingredients, my rationale was that concentrated StarSan would wick its way into the spray ports and dissolve these mineralized deposits. Sure enough, the next day I checked my wiper fluid nozzles and they worked perfectly, each spraying three separate jets perfectly!

Make sure to put tape around the nozzles on your car to prevent any damage to the paint or plastic, as undiluted StarSan could be pretty nasty. Also, don't forget to thoroughly rinse out the pipette before using it to measure SG.

Any other ideas for non-beer making uses of StarSan? I bet it would do a great job on coffee makers and other items that tend to build up mineralized deposits.

Hmm, never thought of cleaning jewelry, that is an interesting thought. I bet it would work well to de-crust sink and shower outlets as well.

I use star san on the occasional corroded terminal. Also have a diluted spray bottle in the kitchen for sanitizing my meat grinder, counters, jars etc.

Wife also uses it for her cosmetics/skincare product business to clean vials and containers.

Pbw gets used for all kinds of things throughout the home. Stainless steel Coffee pot, mop heads, nasty baked on and discolored enamel pots, occasional laundry booster or dishwasher run just to name a few.

Last edited:
I stuffed 12 lbs. of summer sausage yesterday. I used star san on all the stuffer parts first. Piston,seal,hopper,tube,etc.

Can't think of any but I use PBW to clean my wife's rings. Definitely good for hard coffee stains too!

+1 on the coffee stains. We have a 12 cup insulated coffee carafe that gets nasty deposits after a month or two of daily use despite washing with dishwashing liquid after every use. A teaspoon of PBW and a 10 minute soak, followed up by 5 minutes with Star San, and the thermal glass liner sparkles and shines like new. Coffee tastes much better as well. Just be sure to wash with liquid detergent after the PBW/Star San baths. Star San and coffee doesn't taste all that good. Don't ask me how I know.

Brooo Brother

Star San and coffee doesn't taste all that good. Don't ask me how I know.

Brooo Brother

Ha! I know all too well myself, though I've not tried it in the coffee machine. It can't taste as bad as white vinegar though, and won't stink up the kitchen during cleaning cycles! I'm going to try this!

I had a 1/2" diameter brass threaded rod that I was about to make some parts out of that was badly oxidized. Full strength StarSan cleaned all of the green oxidation off and left a nice shiny finish.

Ha! I know all too well myself, though I've not tried it in the coffee machine. It can't taste as bad as white vinegar though, and won't stink up the kitchen during cleaning cycles! I'm going to try this!

Keurig or equivalent? Let me know how it goes. If like to try something better than white vinegar as well.

Back