Already done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickprice407

Reaction score
Last week my son and I brewed 10 gallons of Wee Heavy and 10 gallons of BarleyWine. We used a Wyeast 1728 into about a 1.8 ltr starter for each 5 gallon carboy of the Wee Heavy (target was 10.8% ABV) and the Wyeast Champagne in like sized starters for the Barleywine (target around 15%). Pitched Sunday morning , had activity that evening and lots by mid Monday thru Tuesday. Thursday I pulled off the blowoff tubes and put fermentation locks on. Fermentation was active but slow on all four. All four seem dormant now. Is it possible for 4 hi-gravity beers to ferment that quickly? Didn't want to do a gravity test yet if they obviously shouldn't be finished. But we did have a big starter. First two champagnes didn't plump up quite as good as I would have liked so I smacked to in the fridge (slightly out of date) that really got fat and we added those to it. So the champagne should have been good for sure. The 1728 was full of yeast as well. No problems there.

Any input appreciated.

Rick :mug:

My guess is that the active portion of the fermentation is past. That is not to say that the fermentation has finished. I would wait another week or two then take gravity readings. Personally I ferment all my brews for at least 3 weeks and only take readings after that long.

Bubbles mean nothing, gravity readings tell all! I would wait another week and then check gravity. It may take the yeast some time to chew through the remaining sugars and they can do so quite slowly with no visual activity present while doing so.

Properly pitched beers do ferment better. +1 on waiting at least 3 weeks. I would leave a huge beer like that in primary for a month, even if FG has been reached, to let the yeast do their work as long as possible. Then secondary to age.

Jealous, 20G of BW and WH, 2 of my very faves. You're going to have a great Christmas!

Latest posts

Back