Aloe-Jalapeño?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashplub

Reaction score
What do you guys think?

I wish to do another Jalapeño wine and I just had the idea for an aloe wine with roasted Jalapenos added during primary and secondary. I have several aloe plants that are taking the garden bed over and need to go. I am making a 1 gallon test batch tomorrow. Has anyone out there made an aloe wine before? I searched the inter-gigs but found little.

When I lived in Japan they have a aloe water they love to drink. Never herd of it in wine though. Aloe also has a good reputation for helping your digestive track. So let me know how it turns out.

I had a very drunken sat night last weekend and made a spilt second decision to have at this. The recipe, from what I remember:

3 big aloe plants guts boiled with a little water for 30mins
4 cans of Orchard white grape juice concentrate
2 jalapenos slit longways and put in the oven for 15mins on 350
sugar to 1085
Water to 3 gallons
EC-1118.

I will rack onto a few more japs in secondary. I am thinking the more the better so at least it will have something going for it.

My wife wanted to take me to the mental hospital and a few friends think I am going to die from poisoning my-self one day. The aloe preparation was very long and painful. I cut the spikes off and slit the leaves long way to revel the gel. I then scraped the gel out with a knife and tried to only get gel into the pot. I mashed the gel up as best I could during the boil. It was a mess. A little green made it in towards the end as it was 2 am and I was done for.

Aloe, when processed by boiling, reveals a very bitter taste often accompanied by stomach ache... But perhaps fermenting it made it less so

I bottled this last weekend. It sat on 4 more Japs in secondary for a few weeks and then sat in tertiary for the remaining months. It’s not as spicy as I would have liked it but it will do. It's pretty good and definitely a conversation starter. SG was .990 and I kept it that way since I like it dry and I hadn’t stabilized it. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back