allo from Quebec :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

Gibby's is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere, but I'll take smoked meat and poutine any day. Unibroue is pretty awesome, too.

Welcome. I was in Québec this summer visiting and I have to say I was blown away by the way craft beer has exploded since my college days in Montréal in the early 90s. La Trou du Diable is putting out some of the best beers I've had anywhere (and Austin, TX is no slouch when it comes to craft beer).

Merci à tous! thanks!

Btw, Unibroue has started in Quebec, I think it was in Chambly. If i'm not mistaking, I think they became popular by winning a prize for their "Blanche de Chambly". But something like 10 years ago, Unibroue was bought by Sleeman, and then a few years later Sleeman was bought by Saporo, so now Unibroue is a japanese company.

Hi! I'm from the Montreal area as well. You'll find HBT to be the most active, helpful, welcoming homebrewing forum you can find online. You will learn lots and lots of things here.

As I see, you are just beginning to brew. I would advise you start by reading http://www.howtobrew.com/ to get you started. And read around HBT.

In Montreal, you can go to La Chope a Barrock, where the owner is very knowledgeable and can guide you.

Hi! I'm from the Montreal area as well. You'll find HBT to be the most active, helpful, welcoming homebrewing forum you can find online. You will learn lots and lots of things here.

As I see, you are just beginning to brew. I would advise you start by reading http://www.howtobrew.com/ to get you started. And read around HBT.

In Montreal, you can go to La Chope a Barrock, where the owner is very knowledgeable and can guide you.

:) That's where I got my kit, and I went there yesterday to buy caps and the hydrometer

:) That's where I got my kit, and I went there yesterday to buy caps and the hydrometer

Heh, funny thing, I was there yesterday at around 12:00.

Nothing wrong with beginning with Cooper's to learn how to use your stuff, but you'll soon want to move to unhopped extract + steeping grain and such. Don't be afraid to ask! The guy at La Chope always has fresh extract.

So i guess all those bags in the back are malted grain then. He really seems to have lots of choice. Next time i'll try doing my own mash...

So i guess all those bags in the back are malted grain then. He really seems to have lots of choice. Next time i'll try doing my own mash...
Yes, all of those bags and barrels are malted grains, hops and unhopped extracts (wheat and pale, I think). For such a small shop, he has a lot of choice, although you can always find a more varied selection online (especially on hops).

Nothing wrong with going slowly. First, you started with Cooper's prehopped extract. Next thing could be unhopped extract + steeping grain + hops. His unhopped extract are very fresh, so you can make really good beer with them. Or, you could take the giant step to all grain, but then you'd better read howtobrew (or just buy the book, it's somewhat inexpensive and it's handy to have on hand on brew day : http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0937381888/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 ) or read a lot online.

Anyway, welcome to the hobby and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back