All Grain Summer Shandy Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebastienzeman18

The ShortCanadian
Reaction score
Hi,

So I don't exactly consider a summer shandy a beer at least not in the traditional sense, but I have had some requests from friends as the summer is right around the corner to make a lemon summer shandy. Does anyone have a recipe they could give me for an all grain lemon summer shandy that has a little sweetness to it and produces a 5 gallon batch? I haven't really found anything online that seems to have worked.

Cheers!

I imagine all grain would have turned out better but I took the lazy route and did a kit for my wife last summer . That lemon was so powerful I couldnt even drink it . Apparently I'm not a shandy drinker . It kind of reminded me of a lemon cleaner . If I could go back I'd brew a basic blonde and add lemon zest to end of the boil , then id make a tincture and add before packaging.

I've heard of people just mixing a few beers with frozen lemonade concentrate. Like the cylinder packaged lemonades.

There is a recipe on here for a lemon lime hefeweizen, which I’ve made a couple times and is really nice. I get more lemon taste than lime, so once I upped the lime zest to get more lime. But if you follow the recipe it will emphasize the lemon.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/lemon-lime-hefe-weizen.255659/

When you brewed this it says rigorously ferment. I'm guessing thats primary fermentation. How long did you do primary fermentation for and then it looks like the recipe calls for you to mix it. After you do the mix do you cold crash and keg or do you rack into your secondary and ferment more? Also did it have any sweetness to it or is it a pretty unsweetened taste? I don't want it to be over the top but it would be nice to have a little.

Cheers!

Last edited:
That lemon lime hefe is a fantastic recipe! I made it years ago and I’m going to revisit it this year.

If you go to Home brew supply this is what you’ll find. I was going to make this also.

Attachments

• B3B53475-1B2C-479D-A5E8-E795CA68B205.png
    B3B53475-1B2C-479D-A5E8-E795CA68B205.png
    382 KB · Views: 36
@sebastienzeman18 I add the Limeade to the primary fermenter once initial vigorous fermentation has ended, which is usually only a couple/few days. The first time I added it 3 days into fermentation, the other two times as much as 12 days only because I got busy and couldn't get to it. There is no mixing involved, just pour in as gently as possible. I fermented in a 3G Better Bottle and had my husband tilt it so that the Limeade could run down the side a bit. There will be another smaller fermentation that kicks off at that point. I let it sit another couple weeks (or more if life gets in the way) and then bottle (no cold crashing).

I did not find it to be too sweet. For the 2nd and 3rd brews I increased the lime zest since the lemon taste seemed to dominate. But that's personal preference. To me the flavors were there but not overpowering, and it's a great hot summer day beer.

One important change to note: the yeast in the recipe to me gave a sulphur-ish taste and smell that was offputting. After that I used WB-06 instead and was much happier.

Back