All-Grain Hop Bomb IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanlee19

Reaction score
Shooting for a smooth IPA with lots of flavor and aromoa. Keeping the grain bill simple, the hops are the star of this show. Looking for feeback on the recipe.

Batch size: 5 ga

Grain bill:
13 lbs Pale
6oz amber

Hops: (magnum and FF are pellet, citra is whole)
.75oz magnum @ 60
.5oz FF @ 10
.5oz Citra @ 10
1.0oz FF @ flameout
1.0oz citra @ flameout
1.0oz FF after whirlpool (before immersion chill)
1.0oz citra after whilrpool (before immersion chill)
1.0oz FF dry hop in secondary
1.5oz citra dry hop in secondary

Yeast: either WL CaliV or WY1272

Single infusion Mash:
60 min @ 152

*since I am whirlpooling and resting for 20mins I read that what would normally be the flameout addition should be moved back to right before chilling.

What's your OG? Maybe add a bit of wheat and corn sugar. Go with CaliV.

I see no need in doing both flameout and warm whirlpool steep, but there's no harm in it either.

FYI - This is going to be quite fruity/tropical, and almost juice-like.

I think you should up the magnum to 1oz. The magnum is such a smooth bittering hop that you almost have to overshoot your intended IBU or it will seem to mellow.

Unfortunately too late to grab more hops as brew day is set for Monday. I have some simcoe I can add the the bittering if necessary.

This was an amazing IPA. Turned out exactly like I wanted; smooth with a big time hop aroma and flavor. I will make this again for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back