All grain brewing book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
Just getting into all grain brewing. If you would recommend one book in addition to how to brew and brewing classic styles. What would it be?

Those two are great and will get you mostly there. Gordon Strong has two great books and so does Randy Mosier. I was in your shoes a year ago and bought and read every book I could find and spent 50x more reading then brewing and mostly just confused myself. There are some great pod cast as well for the car or lawnmower. The brewing network has great nuggets, basic brewing radio, beer smith, and experimental brewing. Also can check out brulosophy which seperates some dogma from reality. Hope this helps.

HomeBrewTalk is the best book for brewing all grain. It's really the best book for any kind of beer brewing (maybe other kinds of brewing too, I just haven't explored that part). When you buy a book, you get the author's best guess with lots of research done with others too but if there is a mistake that isn't noticed until after publishing, it will be there until the next edition is published. On HomeBrewTalk, those errors are usually corrected within a day or maybe two. If you have a question about what the author of a book has written, how long does it take to get an answer. On HomeBrewTalk that time lag is often less than an hour and sometimes just minutes.

Although I think you have the 2 best AG books out there, Papazian's Complete Joy is a classic and his enthusiasm is infectious.

Beyond that, Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer and Radical Brewing are very entertaining and do contain a few nuggets of useful information and also makes you want to try new things and just get out there and brew.

But for straight technical brewing I think you are all set.

I also like the series by the Brewers Publications.

Although I think you have the 2 best AG books out there, Papazian's Complete Joy is a classic and his enthusiasm is infectious.

I second that - There may be more technical data in the other books, but Uncle Charlie's book started it all - it's my go to bible.

Mines a dog eared 2nd edition printed in 1984... (IIRC)

Back