All Grain/Brew in a filter mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phertric

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently saw a video showing a brew done all in one filter and kettle. I know this is done with more precise equipment where everything can be controlled but I was wondering if you could do a hybrid with a mash tun. I was thinking about getting a stainless steel basket for the grains, lifting that out after the mashing and placing the basket full of grains over my kettle and running the wort and sparge water over the basket to wash the remaining sugars and bring me to the final boil volume. It would be easy to get the right volume and very easy to clean up. Does anyone do this? Or would this not work at all? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone do this? Or would this not work at all? Thanks in advance!

This is the concept that Robobrew, Mash&Boil, Grain Father, and other all-in-one systems use. And it's easier as their malt pipes have feet on them so you lift and turn to rest the malt tube on top while you sparge over. You also would need to make sure your grain basket (malt pipe/tube) has solid walls. If it's an all mesh basket you might make a mess as some wort will likely come out the sides and over the edge of the kettle.

Rev.

Hi all,

I recently saw a video showing a brew done all in one filter and kettle. I know this is done with more precise equipment where everything can be controlled but I was wondering if you could do a hybrid with a mash tun. I was thinking about getting a stainless steel basket for the grains, lifting that out after the mashing and placing the basket full of grains over my kettle and running the wort and sparge water over the basket to wash the remaining sugars and bring me to the final boil volume. It would be easy to get the right volume and very easy to clean up. Does anyone do this? Or would this not work at all? Thanks in advance!

Some of us do that with a bag right in the boil kettle. We call it BIAB. Works great, no cooler for a mash tun that needs to be washed each time and the bag is easy to dump (maybe cheap enough to just discard with the grains if you wanted).

It's called BIAB, Brew In A Bag, and you don't need precise equipment to do it. A kettle to boil in... a heat source and a bag. People do it on their kitchen stoves... on propane burners and electric heating elements.

For a kettle some people use a large kitchen stock pot... you can use a turkey fryer... you can use a converted keg. You can have ball valves and whirlpool fittings ...or not.

You can use a stainless steel basket to hold the grains or a bag. You can do a full volume mash and skip the sparge step by just squeezing all the wort from the grains... or you can sparge if you want.

In short, BIAB can be the most simple method of all grain brewing or you can make it as complex and expensive as you wish.

Back