All around english yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Munich Classic is Weihenstephaner, or at least is what I could find out and it works very well. One of the most expressive and estery DRY yeast ou there.
I agree, its flavor profile is very close to Weihenstephaner. Here's what Doemens say about it:
This is a breed of strain 476. It has similar fermentation properties with a higher ester production which pronounces the fruity flavour of the beer (banana flavour).

Strain 476 supposedly is Weihenstephaner:
The strain 476 produces a balanced flavour profile with notes of clove and banana. The produced beers show the balanced and typical aromatic taste of Bavarian wheat beers. Due to it’s good fermentation properties (high yeast growth and fermentation) these strain is the most frequently used bavarian wheat beer strain. Other yeast collections provide it under a different name.

I've used Munich Classic 3 times and every time it is a HEFE. I did notice that fermentation temps. do change the ester profile, but not by much. I like warmer temperatures and more banana, fruity esters. It's quite good for a dry yeast. I mean, it makes great beer, without any struggles. Annd for how limited and few dry yeast strains we have available, this one is one of the better ones. Certainly worth taking into consideration when brewing Hefes...

That's the first time I've seen strain numbers for Munich and Classic, thanks. Genome sequencing tells us that Munich Classic is pretty close to (but not identical to) Wyeast 3068, which is traditionally linked to Weihenstephan 68, whereas Munich ordinary is related to but a definite outlier of the hefe group that includes 3068 but also WLP300/380/351(Weihenstephan 66?).

Doemens is a non-profit organisation that set up the World Brewing Academy in conjunction with Siebel in 2000, the same year that Lallemand bought Siebel. So they have a close link with that bit of the Lallemand empire , and it's not surprising that they chose Lallemand as a route to market, effectively outsourcing the industrial production of their strains as dry yeast.

"Munich yeast can produce phenolic flavours" rather contradicts the statement that Munich is POF-.....

"Munich yeast can produce phenolic flavours" rather contradicts the statement that Munich is POF-.....

Agreed. And setting genetics aside, with respect to flavor, the standard Munich yeast seems to have more in common with the Munich helles style than to a Bavarian hefeweizen, in my experience. It's clean and boring.

Lallemand has been in business since the late 19th century, and has been developing and marketing yeasts since 1923. Per their website they operate companies in 40 countries on 5 continents. But it was not until the early 90's that they became involved in brewing yeast, so perhaps that is where Doemens enters the picture.

Lallemand is present in 40 countries on 5 continents. With a global network of yeast and bacteria production plants, research laboratories, distribution centers and commercial offices across the world, Lallemand is able to serve its customers worldwide and bring innovative products and solutions with the highest standards of quality, reliability and flexibility.

Yeast plants

• In Canada
  • In the U.S.A.
  • In Europe: Austria, Germany, Estonia, Denmark, Finland, Portugal, Slovakia, Poland, UK
  • In Africa: South Africa and Mozambique (50% JV)

Last edited:
In this Lallemand global distributor list Doemens is listed as a distributor of Lallemand yeasts. If it was the other way around, wouldn't Lallemand be listing themselves as a distributor of Doemens yeasts?

http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/docs/info/GLOBAL_DISTRIBUTOR_LIST_DIGITAL.pdf

No, you're way overthinking this. The thing that's being distributed is packets of dry yeast. That dry yeast is made in a Lallemand factory. Hence, that dry yeast is "Lallemand yeast". The original source of the strains can be all sorts - a lot of their wine yeasts originate in the collection of the ICV at Montpellier for instance, but you wouldn't say that Lallemand was a distributor of ICV strains like K1V-1116.

Back