Ale, with WLP500 Trappist yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElCid79

Reaction score
I have a starter of WLP500 trappest yeasts left over from a high gravity quad I brewed about 15 days ago. I am going to make another beer next week, I am wondering if this WLP500 will do all-right making a Brown Ale type beer. Also, how long should that starter last under refridgeration. I should be brewing on the 22nd.

Cheers.

You should be fine to brew with it by the 22nd, although I would wake it up a day or two in advance--give it fresh wort at room temperature.

Whatever you make with it will be distinctly Belgian, even if you ferment pretty cool. So if you want to make a "brown ale" that is American or English in character, it won't really work out (though it may still produce something very tasty). But if you want to make a dubbel or other dark Belgian ale, it's of course a great choice. If you already have the grains for an American/English brown, consider using the same base malt, but subbing in some Special B and dark candi sugar to get the color and flavor of a dubbel.

Back