Ale to Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdog

Reaction score
I currently have a light ale in the primary now and would like to turn this into more like a lager. I heard you can move it to the secondary for another week at a lower temperature. Can anyone shine any light on this and what to do?

I have temperature control....

Thanks,

:mug:

I was just listening to a podcast from Basic Brewing Radio (01-19-2006) featuring John Palmer where they talk in depth about lagering. It sounds like low temps is important right from the start...not to mention a whole different strain of yeast...

The ale yeast you have used (what ever strain it was) will have given off different flavors and aromas that are not concidered "to style" in a lager. There are a few strains that can be fermented cold to give it a more "lager" style, but using lager yeast is the best way to acheive what i think you are going for, that and the intial fermenation temp. (lagers in the mid 50s)

Example of this would be a kolsch yeast. can be feremented around 60 degrees and give none of the common ale characteristics.

Can you cold condition your ale? Absolutely. i do that to all beers.

will it make it close to a lager? Naaa, probably not.

I have left the beer in the secondary for a week or so, then dropped the temperature to clarify the beer quicker. Once the yeasts have done their duties, the taste would remain the same IMHO

I'd recommend letting the yeast operate in their rated temp zone for at least 2 weeks post active fermentation. After that you can drop the temp to help floc them out of solution.

Lager beer uses lager yeast. If you use ale yeast, you can get lager like qualities by keeping it close to the bottom end of their range, but never under. Use lager yeast next time.

If the fermentation is done, the basic character of the batch is fixed. Cold conditioning will improve the clarity, but won't really change the flavor much. What really matters is what yeast you used. A neutral ale yeast adds little to the beer, so it is more like a lager in the first place.

[California Common is made with a lager yeast that can ferment at 65F]

Seeing as you have temperture control, forget this brew being anything but an ale, and just brew up an authentic lager on your next brewday.
Learn everything you need to know on proper lager making before attempting a lager, as it is quite different than ale making. Most lagers have a lower flavour threshhold, so any imperfections will shine through in the final taste.
I've been brewing lagers for 2 years now and am still tweaking my recipies to
get what I call a perfect lager. A normal lager for me takes 2 months to brew if I'm
in a hurry.

What is it you like about lager? What are you trying to accomplish? While it may not meet the style guidelines for a lager since you fermented with ale yeast, crash conditioning will clear the beer a bit more and could result in a cleaner finish if that is what you are going for. If there is something else you like about lager, I would suggest trying a lager for your next beer.

skipdog said:
I currently have a light ale in the primary now and would like to turn this into more like a lager. I heard you can move it to the secondary for another week at a lower temperature. Can anyone shine any light on this and what to do?

I have temperature control....

Thanks,

:mug:

skip,

You can never turn an ale into a lager but the cold-ageing will impart desirable traits nonetheless. I cold-age all my beers 3 to 4 weeks and the difference it makes is like magic. You will get a cleaner, crisper-tasting beer, like a cream ale.

If you go with a real lager yeast and can tie up your equipment for an extended period of time, you'll be in for quite a treat ;-)

Back