ale temp drop during first 12 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easily_Distracted

Reaction score
Nervous newbie here. I brewed a holiday ale kit last night, pitched the yeast pack to the carboy and put it in a nice safe spot where I've been monitoring the temp for the last few weeks. Well, we had a temp drop last night and when I woke up, the internal temp was at 60deg. I moved it to another spot where it is maintaining 70 steadily now. Should I be worried?

No - ambient temps should be 8-10F below where you want to ferment because the fermentation generates quite a bit of heat.

I've got slow bubbles now.
This is actually 5gal of a 10 gal batch. The other carboy was kept where this one is now. The one that stayed about 70deg is bubbling like mad. I had to put a blow off on it. The one in question is bubbling once every minute or so.

I had a huge beer (1.108) in the garage and this morning read 51F, the small beer, a 4.5G (1.047) was sitting right next to it. The big beer had little activity and the small had zero. Put a heater on the big beer and within an hour it was spewing into the blowoff. Had to bring the small beer inside and is now waking up. Subsequently brought the big one in as well.

Has your other one woke up at all yet?

looks like it is trying to wake up. It's still slow but about double what it was earlier today. It's doing about 4 small bubbles a minut now.
On the other hand, the other one is doing about 1 big bubble a sec out of the big 1.5"(I think)blow off tubing.

It's up. It's bubbling quite nicely. I have a feeling I'm going to need a blowoff on this one too. It's bubbling quickly and I'm seeing foam getting into the airlock already.

Ok my big beer went bonkers... blowiff jug was seriously filled maybe 2 inches this morning before work...

ForumRunner_20121105_185351.jpg

Same here. I came home to the airlock encased in a big blob of foam. The airlock didn't blow out but it was just hissing air out of the foam blob. Blowoff now installed.

Back