ale kit lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishjoe

Reaction score
I use ale kits, But I don't want to use the yeast this time. I want to use lager yeast to try something diff. I tried it once before but, nothing happened in the first 24 hr. I sure I did everthing right. Did I not use enough yeast?Is there an amount of yeat that is good for 5gals?

In general, one vial of yeast is not enough for many 5 gallon batches. It can often take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start when not enough yeast is pitched.

Lager yeast uses a different strain than ale yeast, and should be fermented at 48-53 degrees. Using most lager strains at room temperature can create some fruity and sulfury off-flavors, but there are a couple of strains that are used for "steam beer". California lager yeast can be used up to about 65 degrees or so, and it tastes pretty good.

Dring the summer it is easy to I did alager last year and it blew the top and air lock off!!

Latest posts

Back