Airlock vs. Blow-off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnDaReglah

Reaction score
I have my wort for a Summer Ale boiling as we speak. This is only my third batch and with the first two batches I woke up in the morning to the airlock being filled with foam and immediately attached a blow off tube. For this batch can I start right away with a blow off tube? I'm worried that the yeast is going to be sucked up through the tube before it has a chance to do its thing. Or am I being paranoid? So....can I attach a blow off tube right away?

Happy Brewing

Joe

Yes I always start with a blow off , and just usually leave in on it till the end.
How big is your fermenter? You have enough Head Space?
you don't have 5 gal in a 5 gal fermenter ?
It's your 3rd batch, I have to ask that . Ya prob. have a 6- 6.5 . ?

Yes I always start with a blow off , and just usually leave in on it till the end.
How big is your fermenter? You have enough Head Space?
you don't have 5 gal in a 5 gal fermenter ?
It's your 3rd batch, I have to ask that . Ya prob. have a 6- 6.5 . ?

I have a 6.5 carboy

Personally I've only ever used airlocks in mine and have yet to have a mess but I've been told by multiple people on here its a matter of time before I have a mess. They're probably right but I'm stubborn and won't change my ways until the mess occurs lol.

That being said a blow off tube and a standard airlock are really the same thing so there is not problem starting with a blow off tube. Blow off tubes just offer less resistance and a large collection area for anything that oozes out. The only thing to worry about on a blow off tube is if you cold crash the change in temps in the carboy can cause a siphoning effect and pull your sanitizer from the container your tube is in back up into the carboy.

Agreed with everyone. It doesn't matter which you start with, but starting with the blowoff tube will ensure you won't have a mess on you hands. Once the initial fermentation has settled you can switch to an airlock but you don't have to.

If you cold crash on the other hand. Definitely switch to an airlock so you don't get that siphon effect that was stated above. If you cold crash with a blow off tube you will be surprised how much liquid can get sucked back into the carboy.

I'm like m1batt1. I've never needed a blow off tube. I might be lucky, but I do control fermentation temperature and use different size carboys. Most ales can be done in a 6 or 6.5 gallon fermentor. I do use a 7.5 gallon fermentor when working with WY3068.

Look up your yeast and see what its preferred temperature range is and start your ferment at the low end of that range and use a blowoff tube too. Chances are, if you keep the beer cool you won't need the blow off tube but it's just another form of airlock so it will work fine either way.

I have had to clean sticky beer foam off of the wall one time. That was enough to start everything with a blowoff rig. It can have an airlock when it starts to calm down some.

I've only had one beer explode with an airlock, but it was crappy enough that I always use a blowoff tube for primary in a carboy.

Exploding beer is a ridiculous mess.

The only thing to worry about on a blow off tube is if you cold crash the change in temps in the carboy can cause a siphoning effect and pull your sanitizer from the container your tube is in back up into the carboy.

THIS! I didn't know beforehand and placed my fermenter into a colder area of the house. I checked on it a couple days later and saw half the jar of yeasty water empty and presumed it was sucked back into the fermenter. I got lucky and the beer was fine but it's something to watch for. :mug:

yea Suck back sucks! I too use a temp controlled freezer with a thermowell to keep the temp where they should be. I cl
old crash without removing fermentors and have to remind my self to swap out to air locks before hand.
But even fermenting in a controlled temp freezer, I always start out with a blow off set up. I really don't wanta have to clean up the inside of it if she blows........That would Blow!

Even using a blowoff hose I create messes. :eek: Now my blowoff hose tub goes inside a bigger tub = much less mess. I usually move to the airlock after about 2-3 days.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

I always used to use blowoffs after my first encounter with T-58. Last few beers I did I have used 5 drops of fermcap and an airlock. Might want to look into fermcap to keep the foam down if you are worried about clogged airlocks.

Back