Airlock overflow/blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redspack9083

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New to homebrewing-just brewed my first batch on Wednesday, took until this morning (Saturday) for good bubbling to commence-almost too good, the airlock filled up and was concerned I would have a mess when I get up Sunday morning. After checking tese forums and Youtubing "Blow off" I fashioned tubing directly from the stopper to a bucket with sanitizer; it seems to have slowed down-is this normal? I know the fermentation will slow down after a while normally but not sure when. I also read on other forum threads that some brewers replace the blow off with a sanitized airlock, what would be the best option? Thanks for any help!

Once the initial major activity, you can replace your blowoff tube with the airlock with sanitizer. Sounds like your ferm is doing what it does!

I had a blow-off tube plug up with hops and blew the stopper off. It was a 3/8" tube as I remember. Some use a large tube (maybe 1" or 1-1/2") and stick it directly into the top of a carboy. I went to a 7.9 gallon fermenter and haven't had a blow off since. (It might not work with a really big beer.)

If you're using a three piece airlock simply remove it and take the cap and valve out. The inside of the airlock can be cleaned and re-inserted. Just slide a length of food grade 1/2" or 3/8" vinyl/silicone tubing over the plastic tip inside and put the tubing into a sanitized container.
Orange rubber caps work OK, too. Just replace the airlock with the rubber cap and secure the tubing to one of the rubber tips. Run the tube to a sanitized container and replace your airlock when the greater part of the primary fermentation is done.

Late last night I used (I think) a 3/8" tube from the rubber stopper in the fermentor to a bucket with sanitizer and the overflow went there for a while-I left it run overnight then replaced it with the another one piece airlock (sanitized) this afternoon. Fermentation has slowed considerably. A question-how important is it to fill an airlock with sanitizer vs. water? The instructions I picked up from the brewer's supply store didn't say to use sanitizer specifically so I used bottled water (although when I replaced the airlock after the blow off incident, I did use sanitizer to fill it up. Thanks again for all the responses!

Using water, especially bottled water, should be fine. Best practice is to use sanitizer though.

I use a 1.25" diameter tube into a bucket of sanitizer. I just had to use it today, as a matter of fact. I'd be hesitant to use 3/8" tubing for this, except in a pinch - seems like it would be liable to clog up and blow off.

Late last night I used (I think) a 3/8" tube from the rubber stopper in the fermentor to a bucket with sanitizer and the overflow went there for a while-I left it run overnight then replaced it with the another one piece airlock (sanitized) this afternoon. Fermentation has slowed considerably. A question-how important is it to fill an airlock with sanitizer vs. water? The instructions I picked up from the brewer's supply store didn't say to use sanitizer specifically so I used bottled water (although when I replaced the airlock after the blow off incident, I did use sanitizer to fill it up. Thanks again for all the responses!
I use sanitizer or cheap vodka.

A question-how important is it to fill an airlock with sanitizer vs. water? The instructions I picked up from the brewer's supply store didn't say to use sanitizer specifically so I used bottled water (although when I replaced the airlock after the blow off incident, I did use sanitizer to fill it up.

The airlock is there to keep insects out of the beer. Unless you have wild temperature swings or are cold crashing your beer there should always be positive pressure from the escaping CO2 so it doesn't matter what you have in the airlock. It could be water or sanitizer, expensive whiskey, cheap vodka, even used motor oil. All will keep insects out and let off the excess CO2. I'd be really careful if I used motor oil or expensive whiskey. I wouldn't want any of the oil in my beer and wouldn't want to waste expensive whiskey.

Latest posts

Back