Airlock level changed but no signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncoutroulis

Reaction score
Second batch so loads of questions/ concerns.

It's been over 24 hours and the airlock water level has changed but the Brew looks clear, meaning no bubbles, krausen or any signs of anything happening. I know fermentation can still be happening so just curios what the change in airlock level might mean.

Thanks

Change in temperature and/or change in barometric pressure can make the airlock level move. Just give it some more time and fermentation will kick up. Sometimes it takes a couple days.

Going to sort of echo what JonM said... 24 hours isn't very long esp if you didn't make a starter. Wait another day or two and I'm sure it'll start to bubble away.
I've had beers not bubble at all but fermented to under 1.000! Any given beer....

I've found that when I put my fermentors in the closet I get suction on the airlock because of the temperature drop, so I don't fill them for at least an hour after the move. If the temp goes up you could have the opposite happen, basically what JonM is saying. So if you filled the airlock and moved your fermentor somewhere warmer or cooler that could be it.

thanks

the temp strip on the outside of the carboy says around 66 degrees. I have a blanket around it, so the light doesn't effect it, and to keep it a bit warmer. ill check again tonight when I'm home to see if anything new has happened

cheers

thanks

the temp strip on the outside of the carboy says around 66 degrees. I have a blanket around it, so the light doesn't effect it, and to keep it a bit warmer. ill check again tonight when I'm home to see if anything new has happened

cheers

This afternoon it will be 3 days since pitching. As of now there is now change. The beer looks very clear. Dark but clear, it's a brown ale. Curious what I should do. Re-pitch? If so I don't have the same yeast, I have a dry Safbrew s33, this was Wyeast 2112.

Thanks for the help

2112 - you mean california lager? Did you make a starter with it?

It is the Cal lager. Didn't make a starter, and when I smaked the pack, the nutrient pack didn't break so I dumped all of it into the carboy at the same time.

Posted that issue on a separate thread and all answers said not to worry about it, but now I'm worried

Well, I think it is a problem, sorry to say. Lagers need a really large volume of yeast to get going - usually a large starter or multiple packs of yeast. With an ale yeast, you might be able to get away with a single smack pack (regardless of whether the nutrient pack opens) but a single smack pack with a lager yeast is a significant underpitch and the yeast will have a lot of trouble getting going.

If if was my batch, I'd throw in a hydrated package of dry ale yeast. If you can't get ale yeast, that package of S33 you have will be good (but still probably an underpitch).

EDIT: Whoops! S33 is an ale yeast. Yes, rehydrate that and throw it in.

Thanks!

Wonder why the guy at the home brew store would've given me the 2112 lager pack when he prepared this brown ale recipe for me.

Tonight I'll try your suggestion of hydrating and repitching the dry yeast. Would you mind walking me through those steps?

Thanks!

Sure - boil a cup of water in the microwave or, if you have a steel measuring cup or something like that, you can boil it on the stove. Let it boil for ten minutes, then let it cool. Sprinkle the dry yeast on the cooled water and gently slosh it around a bit. Cover with sanitized foil. After about 5 minutes, swirl it up and dump it all into your wort.

Thanks again

Another factor that may be an issue.

The temp strip on the carboy says about 66 degrees. Is that too warm? I've also put a blanket around it to keep light out. Could that be contributing to this?

Thanks

I've found that when I put my fermentors in the closet I get suction on the airlock because of the temperature drop, so I don't fill them for at least an hour after the move.

Try getting some 'S'-style airlocks. They'll allow air to flow in both directions without sucking back liquid into your beer. Just make sure you fill the airlock with sanitizer or vodka instead of plain water, since there's a risk of dust/contaminants in the outside air passing through it and into your beer.

Update. Just got home and now after almost 3 days there is activity! Thin layer of krausen on top and some bubbling in the airlock.

Sounds like I don't need to repitch, right? I've also moved it to a slightly cooler area

Boy - I'd repitch. Right now, you have a significant underpitch of lager yeast. Last year, I made a slight underpitch of lager yeast and it was an undrinkable disaster. Toss that ale yeast in there.

Underpitched lager yeast will stress out, produce huge amounts of acetaldehyde and other off -flavors, and underattenuate.

Thanks. Just curious why I may have under pitched? It's 5 gals and it was one packet. The ratio should be correct, right?

Is there a way to tell if it's stressing out? Or in fact under pitched?

Thanks

There are a number of yeast pitching rate calculators out there:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

Every one of them will tell you that you need a 2 gallon+ stepped simple starter, a large stir plate starter, or 3-4 packs of very fresh yeast to make an adequate pitch into a lager. One smack pack won't do it. You might get lucky, but I'm pretty sure one smack pack of lager yeast is going to result in an underattenuated beer that is full of off flavors.

There are a number of yeast pitching rate calculators out there:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

Every one of them will tell you that you need a 2 gallon+ stepped simple starter, a large stir plate starter, or 3-4 packs of very fresh yeast to make an adequate pitch into a lager. One smack pack won't do it. You might get lucky, but I'm pretty sure one smack pack of lager yeast is going to result in an underattenuated beer that is full of off flavors.

Thanks

the odd thing is, is that this is NOT a lager. Its lager yeast, but its a brown ale. Not sure why they gave me this yeast.

does that make a difference in what you've told me above?

thanks

The broad category of beer (ale vs. lager) is defined by the type of yeast. If you pitched a lager yeast, then it's a lager, regardless of whatever else is in the recipe.

Latest posts

Back