Airlock fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve99

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Brew my 2nd beer on Tuesday night. 24 hours later to airlock was showing about 1 buble per second or 2 bubbles per 3 seconds. Since Thursday night, I don't see any buble in the airlock.

Should I open it for a denstiy test ? Is yes, do I have to stir the wort before talking some of it for the hydrometer ?

Thanks

I would take a hydrometer reading, but DONT STIR THE WORT. It might be possible that it finished that quickly, especially if it started that fast.

Thank You very much,

I just made the test and the hydrometer reads 1.008 so I guess it's finished since my SG was 1.032 ...

Is there a problem if I transfer to my secondary on Tuesday only ?

No problem racking in a few days - you can leave it in the primary for as long as a month, and a lot of folks have success without ever racking at all.

Sounds like you pitched a healthy bunch of yeast. Congrats on what seems like a good brew!

A 1.008 FG is good; time to secondary or bottle. A OG of 1.032 is not very high though. That's going to be some weak beer (as I calculated it at 3.1-3.2% ABV)!

I know it's gonna be a weak beer but I figure it's not bad for a first one. I don't know what I did wrong ... maybe too much water ?

Back