AirLock bubbling more following replacement of bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benoj

Reaction score
So I have an NEIPA fermenting since Sunday - I split my 15L batch into 3 carboys and. I need to dry hop twice once at 70% attenuation and one once fermentation has completed. I took one of the carboys out of my cupboard to check the gravity (It was not quite ready yet). When I did i took a small sample and also sanitised and replaced the bung/airlock because I had some overflow.

The one batch that I have replaced the airlock is now bubbling away much every 2 seconds or so - whereas the other two have basically stopped.

Why would the pace increase? Is this simply the yeast became activated when I moved the carboy?

I would guess that you stirred the yeast bed up and caused a temporary increase in the release of CO2. Did it continue to bubble at that pace or slow down again quickly? You may have also plugged the stopper in more tightly than the others. I'd give the other 2 a swirl and check the stoppers and see if they perk up.

Latest posts

Back