Airlock blowout!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgoodhart

Reaction score
I am brewing an all-grain IPA which is currently in primary. I placed the brew in the primary Thursday evening around 7ish. All was going well and it started to ferment within 12 hours. I checked it twice on friday and it seemed to be a nice easy fermentation (didn't think I needed a blow off tube). I went to work yesterday (24 hour shift) and when I got home this morning, the airlock had blown off! I cleaned and sanitized the airlock and replaced it. My beer was still churning along in the carboy like I still had good fermentation going on. I don't know how long the airlock was off (could have been 24 hours for all I know) I was just wondering what the likely hood of contamination is to the beer if it is still going through the fermentation Process? Has anyone else had this happen and ruin a batch? Just curious/concerned...

Yes, I have had this happen. I did the same thing you did, sanitize and replace. The beer turned out great!

As I understand it, contamination risk is low during active primary fermentation due to alcohol and CO2 production.

Because of that and a couple of other near blowouts I always use a blow off during active fermentation now, even if I think I might not need one.

Slim to no potential of being infected, nearly everyone has had some sort of issue similar to this.
I typically always run a blowoff tube regardless of what I'm brewing unless its a Lager, just takes the issue of "should I? Or shouldn't I?" Off the table for me
Cheers

I, too, use a blow-off tube on EVERY brew for at least the first 48 hours of fermentation. If, after two days, fermentation is still fast and furious, I'll leave the blow-off in place; if fermentation has calmed down, I'll put an airlock in place of the blow-off. Sure is good insurance, and great peace of mind!

glenn514:mug:

Back