Airlock Blew Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truss84

Reaction score
Last night, I was brewing a new batch - a bourbon barrel stout - it's my fourth batch. I airlocked it to ferment. However, I woke up and the lock completely blew off. There is still foam bubbling out. A few questions.....is this batch still salvageable? If so, any suggestions to save the batch and cap it?

While foam is coming out, how much bacteria is going to get in? They aren't marathon swimmer you know. For now you want a blowoff tube. Your siphoning hose will probably fit the grommet where the airlock normally goes and you can put the other end into a container of water to make a much bigger airlock and a place to catch the krausen that is blown off. Once it settles down, put your cleaned and sanitized airlock back in place and let it have another 10 days to 2 weeks for the silent part of the ferment to complete and then bottle. You batch isn't ruined, it isn't even hurt.

Latest posts

Back