airlock activity but SG not dropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogletn

Reaction score
Started a batch and OG was 1.030. Left it in my garage where it had been staying warm. Had to go to Oregon for a week, When I returned there had been some serious bubbling and my airlock was almost clogged up but the SG had barely moved. Wife said we had a cold spell while I was gone. Moved the batch inside to constant temp of 72. Plenty of airlock activity but SG barely moving. After 7 days inside still at 1.020. Any recommendations?
Thanks.

If it went from .030 to .020 it is fermenting and it is not done, be patient, give it some time and it will be fine but 72 is kinda warm unless you are doing a Belgian or saison or the like

Most ales prefer mid 60's so while still active I would try to bring down the temperature or you risk some off flavors.

Because of the higher temps IMO I would leave the beer at the cooler temps for a few weeks to give the yeast a chance to clean up the unwanted flavors.

Swirl to get yeast back into suspension. Airlock activity may just be pressure and off gassing from the rise in temp.

Back