Airating Wort With Diffuser Stone Etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stocktires

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I bought an aeration kit from AHS. This has a pump, in-line filter, and a stone.
My problem is that the line and stone seem to float to the top of the carboy whenever I turn on the pump, giving me very little oxygen. Does anyone use a weight? Then I worry about sanitation.
I don't recall having this problem the very first time I used it.
Any thoughts?

Use a little bit of tubing and attach it to the end of a racking cane, then connect the rest of the hose to the other end.

You now have the stone at the end of a wand and can direct aeration where you want it.

I had the same problem, but ended up selling it and buying a wand from Williams Brewing.

Q99.JPG

I use O2 now instead of the pump. 30 seconds and I'm done.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P699.aspx

I had the same problem, but ended up selling it and buying a wand from Williams Brewing.

+1 on the Williams wand. Makes it easy to oxygenate in carboys and buckets. I've even used it to give starters a shot of O2.

Only downside is that the red O2 tanks are expensive and for some reason -- for me at least -- getting harder to find. I aerate for 1 minute. A $9 red mini tank only lasts for 4 batches.

The cost of O2 actually makes the wand a better option. It's easier to use and more efficient that a stone on a flexible tube. You can release the oxygen at the bottom of the bucket/carboy and stir at the same time.

I'm considering a 20 pound O2 tank from a gas supply company where I get my CO2. More expensive in the short term, but cheaper in the long term.

before i got the williams system, i just bought two stainless steel nuts and put them on the tube above the aeration stone, worked fine.

+1 more for the williams oxygen system. While I haven't tasted any beers I used it on yet (keezer is down for repairs/cleaning), they have fermented way faster. I did a Belgian Dubbel on Monday. Started at 1.071 when I pitched at 3 pm. This morning at 7 when I checked (40 hours in) it was already down to ~1.025.

I almost went with one of those pump/filter setups to save a few dollars. Really glad I didn't.

+1 on the Williams wand. Makes it easy to oxygenate in carboys and buckets. I've even used it to give starters a shot of O2.

Only downside is that the red O2 tanks are expensive and for some reason -- for me at least -- getting harder to find. I aerate for 1 minute. A $9 red mini tank only lasts for 4 batches.

The cost of O2 actually makes the wand a better option. It's easier to use and more efficient that a stone on a flexible tube. You can release the oxygen at the bottom of the bucket/carboy and stir at the same time.

I'm considering a 20 pound O2 tank from a gas supply company where I get my CO2. More expensive in the short term, but cheaper in the long term.

You must have a leak, which is not hard to believe with the quality of the reg they provide. I had one tank go quickly as well and I make sure to have everything on securely and disconnect after use. 4 batches at 1 minute should not empty your tank.

You must have a leak, which is not hard to believe with the quality of the reg they provide. I had one tank go quickly as well and I make sure to have everything on securely and disconnect after use. 4 batches at 1 minute should not empty your tank.

+1 Yep, unscrew the regulator after use. I learned the hard way once too.

I found a rigid plastic tube at a pet shop about 3 feet long. I just attach the diffuser stone to the rigid with a short piece of flexible tubing and the other end of the rigid to another piece of flexible and hook it up to my 02 regulator. Works very well and it was cheap.

Also, you don't have to open the regulator full blast or anywhere near it. Just barely crack it until you see slight agitation at the top. The oxygen will diffuse better this way as well and smaller bubbles are more effective.

Also, you don't have to open the regulator full blast or anywhere near it. Just barely crack it until you see slight agitation at the top. The oxygen will diffuse better this way as well and smaller bubbles are more effective.

Good advice. I probably am overdoing it a bit. I tested the regulator for leaks and couldn't find any. Still won't hurt to remove it from the bottle when not in use.

Back