Air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaperruque

Reaction score
So I started my home brew with an air lock but had to switch to a blow off do due overflow of yeast. Yesterday I saw that nothing was happening with the air but my lid was doming so I went back to an airlock. Now I get a slight tilt on the airlock but no real movement. Does this mean that the fermentation is done and I can move to secondary for my dry hops or let it sit? Thanks for the help

An airlock is in no way a reliable way to tell whether fermentation is occurring. It is a tool used to let gas escape(if necessary). While preventing other bugs and such from entering your beer. If there is a small leak in your fermenter, it may never bubble. It may take 4 hours or 12 or 24 to by bubble, all depending in yeast temperature and other factors. The only way to be sure if fermentation is to check gravity readings. If it I dropping you are good. When it stops dropping for 3 days, bottle and enjoy in a few weeks. Usually three.

Unless you are planning on harvesting your yeast cake (and want to avoid hop trub in the yeast), there's no real need to secondary.

You can let it run a couple of weeks in the primary, dry hop it there a 3-5 days, cold crash if you can, and go straight to the bottling bucket.

So I started my home brew with an air lock but had to switch to a blow off do due overflow of yeast. Yesterday I saw that nothing was happening with the air but my lid was doming so I went back to an airlock. Now I get a slight tilt on the airlock but no real movement. Does this mean that the fermentation is done and I can move to secondary for my dry hops or let it sit? Thanks for the help

Here's a little reading that every brewer should know. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

You can let it run a couple of weeks in the primary, dry hop it there a 3-5 days, cold crash if you can, and go straight to the bottling bucket.

You certainly can let it go a couple of weeks or much longer if you are patient. One of my best beers sat in the fermenter for 9 weeks and was really smooth and good flavored with only a week in the bottle.

Back