Air lock ring fell in....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangna1l

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question.. On my primary the air lock ring that keeps it air tight fell into the bucket when sticking my air lock in.. I have read of some people going in with their hands to get it or should I just let it be. Is there a way I can ghetto rig? I am kinda thinking I should just let it be and not worry but any advice on what the outcome might be would be nice. Will the CO2 keep it from letting any more air in if the airlock is loose? Thanks!

well you won't have an air tight seal to keep the baddies out after the CO2 flow stops/slows. I would highly recommend that you either fish out the old seal (that might not be fully sterilized, thus harboring baddies) or go buy a new seal from your home brew supplier.

If it was me I would fish it out with a sterile instrument, as to avoid the infection worry.

Suddy

You don't have to have an airtight seal. Leave 'er be and you'll be just fine. Stick the airlock in the hole as best you can, then RDWHAHB.

Airlocks are overrated and fishing it out is a bigger infection risk that not having a tight seal. I don't even get bubbles in my airlock because my primary doesn't totally seal around the lid. Nothing wrong with that.

We have had many folks lose their grommet in their beer. I believe that you can rig up some plastic wrap to help seal the hole around the airlock. I think someone mentioned duck tape too (what doesn't it work on?).

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There really isn't any need for an air tight seal other than seeing your airlock bubble. Let your beer ferment and collect it when you rack to secondary or bottling bucket. Buy an extra grommet to have around because that ensures you will never need it. ;)

Wow thanks guys you all rock!!! Today was great got 2 beers into a secondary and cooked up another batch today! I don't know what I am going to do with all this beer! Funny thing I have yet to have any of my homebrew yet it is all still fermenting.

I assume you're talking about the stupid grommet for the Ale Pail?

Drill the hole out to accept a 1 inch drilled stopper and lose the grommet.

Use some clean plastic food wrap, wrapped around the airlock, if you need to make the seal tight. Leave the grommet be. If it was dirty you're not going to be able to fix that now, and if it was clean you're not going to hurt anything.

I replaced all my plastic lids with NORTHERN BREWER: Mini Kegs item# 7813, Those rubber bungs fit great on the lid and for the 3 peice airlocks. You can also use the plastic insert to plug it up when you shake the bucket to areate. You may need to drill hole larger to .....i think 11/16. I usually use glass, but use the buckets when I have a lot going at once.:rockin:

That happened to me, and my first post here was the same question!

It'll be fine. I used a little duct tape to hold the airlock, but you don't even have to do that. That was about 265 batches ago, so I'm more relaxed now.

Now I always put the airlock on, and then but the lid on the bucket. I sound like "Rain Man" muttering to myself "airlock goes on the lid, then the lid goes on the bucket" over and over until I finish up. I bought another $.35 grommet (just in case!) and it never happened again!

Trust me- it's fine. It's better to leave it in there, rather than trying to fish it out! When your beer is finished, the grommet will be buried deep in the yeast cake. Just wash it, and it'll be ready to sanitize for the next time. It's harder to remove the rubber bung from a carboy- but that happens all the time too! Just push a little bit, and the wet bung will plop right through the opening and land in the carboy. So, buy a couple of extras (and an extra airlock), then you will be prepared for anything!

That reminds me. A couple of years ago, I racked and bottled a beer. When I cleaned out the fermenter, an airlock was lying in the bottom. I still have no idea how it got in there. I assume I had everything that I had to sanitize laying out, and somehow it got sanitized and in the bucket. The beer was perfect.

In the future, concider putting the hose into the hole before you cap it on your fermenter, then you know that will never happen. that little bugger likes to pop out when feeding the airlock on.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you popped your cherry!Next time slowly twist it in.When I did it I fished it out with the spoon i was brewing with and had no problems.Any of the above suggestions should be fine too.Just wanted to laugh at you.:mug:

Latest posts

Back