AHS Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an AHS kit but I noticed on the website they don't tell you how much DME/LME comes with the kits; anyone know what they send in their standard kits? Also, do they come with a complete listing of the ingredients? (since this is also not listed on the site).

It has been awhile since I've bought an extract kit but AHS has a standard by the #'s recipe that they use for all of their kits. Your particular kit will have subtle differences than others but the recipe/instructsions do a great job of describing everything for you. It will have the extract(s) listed and their mass almost always in US lbs., any speciality steeeping grains and their mass, as well as the hops and when they recommend to add them, etc. It is a step by step with the target gravities in case you use a hydrometer. If it is a lager it will also have a addendum for those who don't want to lager but rather go at it with ambient temps. or temps in the 60's instead of 30's and 40's. If you are into the late addition of extracts just let them know when you place the order and they'll alter the instructions for you.
I hope this helps, I guess I'm pretty fortunate in that they're about 25 miles away from me and everytime I've been in they've been very helpful.
runhard, raceEZ

In the AHS extract kits, you get all the necessary extract for the recipe, required grains in a grain bag, required hops, and the recipe. For my Fat Tire clone, I got LME. For my other kits, I've received both LME and DME. The amounts and types vary, according to the recipe. The included recipe has pretty specific instructions, so it's very clear and easy to do. The only thing that I almost messed up was my own fault- the Fat Tire clone uses three types of hops and they are all labeled. I assumed they were the correct amount, but they were all 1 ounce bags (of course). The recipe requied that two of the hops types be in differing amounts. I think 1/2 ounce. So, once I actually looked at the packages, I added the correct amount and froze the rest.

So, anyway, the answer to your question is- it depends on the recipe you ordered.

Lorena

You'll get the right amount of extract (6-12 pounds) and specialty grains for the recipe. You'll probably get more hops than necessary, since they bag by the ounce. You also get a complete list of ingredients.

Back