Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So here's a quickie.

I've set aside 1-six pack form my first brew to see what it's like after it's aged a bit. I already waited 3 weeks in the bottle before cracking them open and must say they're disappearing at an alarming rate ;)

So anyway, my question is at what point does the flavor "stabalize"? As in, when should I think about cracking open this sixpack? Months? Years?

Ahh ya that would help.

It was a pale ale, and being my first batch, I didn't take an initial gravity reading (oops). It's final was 1.014 or there abouts, I can tell ya it's probabyl mroe than 5% since it certainly is more potent than any 5% beer I've had.

Figure 5-6 months. Much longer than that for a hoppy ale & the aroma starts dropping. Stouts & porters can keep improving for years.

I do this with all my brews....The first 3 of the 6 pack get opened at 1 year, the second 3 get opened at 2. This way, if I brew at least once a month average...I'll have 6 well aged beers a month....plus whatever else I manage to stash.

**edit:
As David_42 mentioned...NOT all of the beer I make will get better in that time frame, but I will be able to identify the changes and that will help make me a better educated Brewer.

At what temps do you guys age your beers? My 6 month old APA was at room temp and it tasted quite nice. But what is the correct temp to age your beers? Is it like wines where there is a range to maintain?

My basement has been about 58-72 between winter and summer since I've been brewing. It seems these aren't bad temps, but I've been trying to cool them off from getting above 72 lately with the wet t-shirt method. If I didn't I'm sure they'd go above 74.

Back