Aging on yeast vs in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
I have a beer that I want to ferment for three weeks. Is there any difference between:

- Fermenting in primary for 1 week and then letting it sit in a keg for two.
- Fermenting in primary for 3 weeks then transferring to a keg.

So you want to force carb after 3 weeks and start drinking? If so, I'd go about 2.5 weeks in primary with a 48 hour cold crash to drop a lot of the yeast. Then rack to keg and force carb. If you were to primary for 2 weeks and then rack I think you'll transfer a lot of yeast into your keg. Not horrible, but not my preference.

My usual schedule for a standard gravity beer is 3 weeks primary w/ cold crash + 2 weeks natural or force carb in keg.

Time to expect in a fermenter will depend on the following:
  1. It depends on style
  2. It depends on ingredients
  3. It depends on fermentation temps
  4. It depends on gravity
But I usually count on browns, APAs, ambers, milds, blondes, and some other styles that have an OG under 1.050, and ferment between 65-70F BEER TEMP, will be drinkable in 10 days if force carbing.

Otherwise, I suggest that you go 2 weeks on yeast cake and 1 week of carbonation (chill to serving temps, 24-36 hours @ 35-40 psi, then purge and set at serving pressure)

Note: The above recommendations are only applicable if the beer is done fermenting (but probably should be, depending on yeast selection and brewing practices).

Note: The above recommendation will not necessarily produce the best results for beer flavor. Beer is ready on its own schedule. But it will be quaff-able.

Back