Cacao nibs in imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My stout has finished fermenting and I want to get the cacao nibs in there.

I plan on baking around 8-12 oz of nibs and adding them in one of the below ways:

1. Add them commando to my fermenter. After 1-2 weeks, transfer to a keg. My fermenter has a screened floating dip tube so minimal cacao nib particles will make it to the keg.

2. Add them in a muslin bag to the serving keg, taking them out after 1-2 weeks.

I was thinking I’ll get better efficiency going commando but am interested in hearing opinions/experiences.

Maybe consider doing a tincture by soaking in vodka for a few days, shaking a couple of times a day. That's what I do now for adding spices, peppers, etc. I then add to taste at packaging so I can control it to my liking. I haven't done it with nibs yet but have the tincture made for an imperial stout I'll bottle next week. Good luck!🍻

I thought about that but don’t like the idea of adding vodka or bourbon to my beer

Understandable for sure but I've never detected the taste in anything I've used it in. I only use about 100 - 200 ml in a 5 gallon batch depending on what I'm adding. The nibs I'm using 200 because of the amount to cover, everything else so far is 100.

Understandable for sure but I've never detected the taste in anything I've used it in. I only use about 100 - 200 ml in a 5 gallon batch depending on what I'm adding. The nibs I'm using 200 because of the amount to cover, everything else so far is 100.
Good to know and thanks for weighing in. Maybe for the next batch I will give that a try.

So I already cold crashed. Is there any issue with bringing it back to room temp for nibbing for a week or so then putting back in the fridge for serving?

Aside from potential contamination and/or O2 exposure, none at all ;) Try to minimize those.
Fortunately stouts can handle a bit of O2, certainly better than most other styles...

Cheers!

Aside from potential contamination and/or O2 exposure, none at all ;) Try to minimize those.
Fortunately stouts can handle a bit of O2, certainly better than most other styles...

Cheers!
Roger, yeah I plan to do a few co2 cycles/purges once I close it back up

And baking the nibs before going in for flavor and to hopefully kill off anything

The batch has been on cacao nibs for 3 weeks and fermentation finished around 5 weeks ago. How long do you guys think I should wait to transfer to a keg? It's still in the primary with the cacao nibs. This is my first big beer / imperial stout so not sure about the fermentation/aging process.

Did you throw the nibs in "commando", or were they marinated in some kind of spirits for a week or more?

If the latter...I rarely have my stout go much longer on the alcohol soaked nibs and vanilla beans than a couple of weeks before kegging.
If the former...I have no idea how long it might take to get decent chocolate character extract. Maybe someone else can help with that...

Cheers!

Did you throw the nibs in "commando", or were they marinated in some kind of spirits for a week or more?

If the latter...I rarely have my stout go much longer on the alcohol soaked nibs and vanilla beans than a couple of weeks before kegging.
If the former...I have no idea how long it might take to get decent chocolate character extract. Maybe someone else can help with that...

Cheers!
Commando, and toasted beforehand.

Back