Aging in keg vs carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naraic

Reaction score
Hi I have recently got myself some kegs, happy days! Now the thing is I can get cornies at around the same price as a good glass carboy. I don't have any glass carboy and have only ever done extended aging once before on an imperial stout in glass vacume jars, did the job but a bit of a p.i.t.a.
So I am wondering what are the pros and cons to ageing in a keg vs a carboy or are there any.
I have had a look for info on this but didn't satisfactory answer.
Thanks

I would go with the keg every time. Sealed environment, fits better in fridges, not gonna chop off fingers if you drop it. And one less transfer to do - just carbonate whenever and serve. If they are the same price I really can't think of an advantage the carboy has over a keg.

That what I was thinking/hoping. Happy days. The auld kegs have given the brewing career a shot in the arm.
So I'm in the middle of carbing my first keg rocken her back and forth nearly there.
Also **** blow back into the regulator! #Learning curve.

Back