Aged Star San OK to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesanch

Reaction score
I got a bottle of Star San from a someone who gave up brewing. He had it for a couple years without use. I recently ran out of my open bottle and was wondering if I should give this aged Star San a try or buy a new bottle.

It has been kept in the garage (where temp went up above 100 over the summer) and then moved indoors.

So what do you guys think? Does this stuff still have the power to kill and sanitize?

It's more than likely OK. If you are truely concerned get some ph test strips or a Ph meter I think the diluted PH should be around 3

I would think it's fine, its an acid, I'm not sure if heat plays a role in the degredation of acid. (If any evaporation occured it would only concentrate the solution further. According to FiveStar's website only fire type heat conditions will alow it to realease phosphorous oxide.)

There are no specs for storage listed on their website either.

Back