Agave, Pumpkin, DME? Braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourJ

Reaction score
I have about 1lb of Agave I want to use up (this one)... also since I have a supply of pumpkins and some DME, I wanted to brew some sort of recipe with or without hops (is this like a braggot... or ??). I can add some honey or grab some extra ingredients from the shop as needed (ie. spices, etc.). Any ideas on a 1 gallon recipe? I have some Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast, some DME and yeast energizer... but I'm more of a beer guy (having only done an Apfelwein recipe).

Any ideas where to start with this? I was hoping to just boil up some agave and DME and toss in the yeast hoping the rest would take care of itself... although sounds like it could be a little more involved than this?!

I guess my goal here is anything drinkable really... I'll probably carbonate it, but other than that just want something fairly simple and quaffable! Pumpkin is optional too...

Thanks!

I have used agave for wine making. Both in addition to and instead of other sugers. It ferments clean, kinda between white shuger and honey. I like it for final step feeding where residual sugers may be left. It does add a tiny bit of mouthfeel, and mellowing. Just a tiny bit, not as much as honey does. Agave ferments cleaner and quicker then honey, but not as much as white shuger.
As far as a recipie goes, just make something up! Some of my best wines are just tossed together. I do write down what I did in case I want to duplicate it. I have not done any pumpkin so I am no help there.

Bascic recipe for country fruit. 3-6 pounds fruit, nutriant and or energizer, suger/agave/honey/whatever is sweet to an SG between 1.085-1.100. Yeast. Peptic enzyme. Maybe some tannin. Some fruit needs an acid blend, but not all. If in dought do not add it. It can be adjusted later, after the first or second rack, or as late as botteling time.
Good luck!

Back