AG Oktoberfest recipe feedback needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye_Brewer1

Reaction score
Looking for input on my first attempt for an AG Oktoberfest: 5 Gallon

Brew house Efficiency 67%
EST OG 1.057
EST FG 1.010
IBU 19.3
SRM 12.9

6 LBS Munich Malt
5 LBS Vienna Malt
2 Lbs CaraMunich Malt Type 1

Single Infusion Mash @ 152

90 Min boil:
1 oz Czech Saaz Hop Pellets (3.5) 60
.5 oz Czech Saaz Hop Pellets (3.5) 30
.5 oz Czech Saaz Hop Pellets (3.5) 15

Fermentis S-23

Ferment 2 weeks at 53
Break for 5 days at 60
Lager for 3 weeks at 38-40
Bottle and store at 38-40 until October....

2# of caramunich would make me nervous but I like my o'fests on the dryer less caramel side. I wouldn't let this stop you from using this brew, just my observation.

For the yeast I really don't like Fermentis S-23. The 34/70 is a much superior yeast in my hands.

15% as crystal malt is way too much. This beer should be rich from the Munich and Vienna but not sweet or thick from crystal malt. If you use crystal malt at all, which is another argument, I'd say 3-4% or about a half pound in that recipe. Add the missing 1 1/2 lbs to the base malt. You may also want to consider bumping up the IBUs slightly, maybe to 22-24.

I'll be blunt but helpful:

Too much Caramunich. Take that down to maybe half a pound.

Too much Munich. Oktoberfest should be at least 60-70% Vienna malt in my humble opinion.

No need for late hops. Keep them all as 60-minute additions to hit whatever your bitterness goal is (about 25-28 IBUs would be best I think).

I'll second the motion for W-34/70 yeast if you like dry, or if you want to try a liquid yeast than how about Wyeast 2206 or WLP833 or something like that. In any case, pitch a ton of yeast, two packs of dry or a real big 2-3 liter starter.

Cheers.

Thanks,

I'm going to tone down the cara Munich to the 4% range, shift Vienna to be the largest percentage, and use two packs of the 34/70. Just ordered from northern brewer.

Back