Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I'm going to start a new batch next week and was thinking about getting an aerator. Anyone have any good suggestions on what type or brand?

For aeration I use the Stainless aquarium stone, regulator and 02 bottle. This is the William's brewing version;

S78_1_.jpg

Mine didn't have the tubing, so I took a broken piece of racking cane, cut a tiny piece of the hose as a bridge connect and rigged up my own. And I just use the regular red 02 bottle from my hardware store.

That's a fantastic idea revvy. I've never worried too much about aeration with my beers, as I'm generally able to pitch quite soon after pouring the wort.

I'm a little concerned now. Maybe my brews would have been better if I'd paid more attention to this.

Thanks revvy, mine came with all tubing, I wanted to retrofit with some hard tube our pipe.
Thanks for the idea.
A for the OP, aerating with O2, is the best way to aerate your wort.

That's a fantastic idea revvy. I've never worried too much about aeration with my beers, as I'm generally able to pitch quite soon after pouring the wort.

I'm a little concerned now. Maybe my brews would have been better if I'd paid more attention to this.

Just pouring your wort in really isn't enough o2. You have to at least shake vigorously if you're not going to employ one of the various methods out there.

I use the stone wand from Williams but have it connected to a 20 cubic foot O2 tank (welders style) with a medical O2 regulator with flow meter/settings. Makes it so that I KNOW the flow rate in LpM of the O2 (no more guessing). How much I give depends on the brew/wort. Lower OG batches get less, where higher OG batches get more (sometimes a second hit at the 12-18 hour mark too). I also use 3/16" beer line to connect the regulator to the wand, so that I can clamp it at the regulator end (actually have a brass swivel nut on the regulator end).

I went cheap-o and just bought the tank adapter from williams brewing. Got some aquirium line and a regular stone. Works good for me... total expenditure about 26 bucks (not including the o2) :).

Latest posts

Back