Aeration System Introducing lead and Lead Compounds into wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other thing I haven't seen mentioned, the plastic in electric wiring casings can have led in it. As I understand it, it was banned at one time before someone lobbied to have it put back in. I believe it makes the plastic/rubber more flexible. It is also another potential reason for the label.

I am using a small air pump in my fermenter as well. I am fermenting sugar washes and the high sugar content reduces the oxygen capacity of the wash, aeration is an easy solution and the solution that large scale commercial operations producing high percentage ethanol for fuel use.

I also find it handy as I have a third tube coming from my fermenter dropping down to the middle of my wash and if I unplug it and pinch off my CO2 tube it builds pressure and forces wash out the third tube without opening and exposing my wash to potential contaminants in the air. This allows me an easy handy and sanitary way to test Ph as sugar wash has tendency to drop down to as low as 3.5 Ph after 2 to 4 days of fermenting.

If you use an air pump to aerate I suggest building a small sealed box with a HEPA filter to filter out any fungal or mold spores and any bacteria out of the air that you are pumping into your fermenting chamber.

She refused to use ours telling us that we carried the 'wrong type of oxygen' despite being medical grade. I asked her 'how many types of oxygen are there then?'
She reckoned hers had more negatively charged particles.

Found this: Negative Oxygen Ions Production by Superamphiphobic and Antibacterial TiO2/Cu2O Composite Film Anchored on Wooden Substrates

It seems that it is a real thing. People with illnesses know better because they feel the difference on themselves, it's not just paranoia.

I am using a small air pump in my fermenter as well. I am fermenting sugar washes and the high sugar content reduces the oxygen capacity of the wash, aeration is an easy solution and the solution that large scale commercial operations producing high percentage ethanol for fuel use.

I also find it handy as I have a third tube coming from my fermenter dropping down to the middle of my wash and if I unplug it and pinch off my CO2 tube it builds pressure and forces wash out the third tube without opening and exposing my wash to potential contaminants in the air. This allows me an easy handy and sanitary way to test Ph as sugar wash has tendency to drop down to as low as 3.5 Ph after 2 to 4 days of fermenting.

If you use an air pump to aerate I suggest building a small sealed box with a HEPA filter to filter out any fungal or mold spores and any bacteria out of the air that you are pumping into your fermenting chamber.
I suggest this...
Cheap (although one can get 4 for $10 on the amazon), easy, and disposable after a few uses.
I use it for oxygen, and in a rubber stopper with hole on my flasks for yeast starters.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/sanitary-filter.html

Back