Aeration Stone BAD Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andynicks

Reaction score
I am new to kegging. I recently purchased a brand new keg. I disassembled everything and soaked it in PBW all day. I then scrubbed everything with a brush and rinsed SEVERAL times.

After re-assembling I filled the keg part way with water, hooked up the gas and dispensed the water through a picnic tap. It had such as strong chemical/metallic taste to it that I immediately spit it out. I thought maybe I had not rinsed thoroughly enough so I rinsed a couple more times and tried again. The water still had a very strong chemical taste to it.

Through trial and error I narrowed it down to a 2' piece of tubing and an aeration stone. If I take those out trying dispensing water it tastes fine. If I put them back it has a strong chemical taste again.

To rule out the tubing I cut another piece and used it as a straw to drink water and it tasted fine. So it must be the aeration stone right? Why would it make regular water absolutely undrinkable? It was brand new and I boiled it according to the instructions.

What are you using an aeration stone in a keg for? I've never heard of that.

It might also be your CO2 itself, if you're using a device that diffuses the co2 into solution faster, it could be imparting any flavors caused by the gas.

Back