Aeration for delayed pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gometz

Reaction score
I brewed an Export lager on Sunday, but wasn't able to get the wort down to where I wanted it and the starter wasn't ready yet. So I aerated and transferred the wort into the carboy and placed it in the chamber. Once the starter was done I put it in the chamber as well to crash out the yeast. Monday night I pitched my yeast.

It wasn't until afterwards that I started to wonder if I should have aerated the wort again. Thermodynamics would indicate that the wort should retain all of the absorbed oxygen over that time (and absorbed some more as it cooled from the head space), but I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on the matter are.

I can't imagine it would have too much of an effect only 24 hours later, but if I have to delay pitching like that I'll aerate just before pitching. Less chance of infection with less agitation/things going in. To answer your survey, I always aerate before pitching, just to be sure, even if I aerated previously.

Latest posts

Back