aeration during bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I just finished bottling, when I was getting the siphon started I didnt have the little pin on the bottle filler pushed in so when i started the siphon I got a big bubble glump in my carboy it happend twice. Then realized what I was doing wrong.

How do you think this is going to affect the beer? OR do you think I might be ok?
Like I said it was two glumps of air into the carboy everytime i pushed the siphon in

Don't worry, it is not a death knell for your beer. Oxidation is a bad thing, yes, but that won't make your beer rancid or anything. How long is this batch of beer going to be around - a couple of months, or longer?

You will be fine. I have put more air into a beer going into the secondary and had no ill effects.

MA_Brewer said:
Don't worry, it is not a death knell for your beer. Oxidation is a bad thing, yes, but that won't make your beer rancid or anything. How long is this batch of beer going to be around - a couple of months, or longer?

PLan on letting it sit for 3 weeks to carobnate....another thing, I tried one of the bottles to see how it tatsed and it tasted good but watered down is this a normal thing?

I know a few people told me it is normal to have it taste watery until it is finally ready but not sure?

mot said:
PLan on letting it sit for 3 weeks to carobnate....another thing, I tried one of the bottles to see how it tatsed and it tasted good but watered down is this a normal thing?

I know a few people told me it is normal to have it taste watery until it is finally ready but not sure?

Yeah, carbonation might help that a little bit. If it still watery for your tastes, consider adding some dextrine powder to the bottling buck next time.

mot said:

Was it fully carbed? My beer always tastes watery until it is carbed, this watery taste seems to come out more at room temp too.

knell:
Pronunciation: 'nel
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English cnyllan; akin to Middle High German erknellen to toll
transitive verb : to summon or announce by or as if by a knell
intransitive verb
1 : to ring especially for a death, funeral, or disaster : TOLL
2 : to sound in an ominous manner or with an ominous effect

Wonderful word.

Oh, and don't worry about the beer, give it four weeks in the bottles and make sure it's finished with in six months.

Beerrific said:
Was it fully carbed? My beer always tastes watery until it is carbed, this watery taste seems to come out more at room temp too.

no it was not carbed at all, I just tried one right after I was done bottling. I did chill it a little

Back