Aerating your wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moltenink

Reaction score
A friend of mine and I came up with something, just wanted to get some opinions... Could you not get something like a 10 L jug of water and run an aquarium aerator through the jug for an hour or something before you add it to your wort? Would that help? It would mean you could do it WHILE you boiled and cooled. Then you could pith your yeast faster.

All aerator systems use an in line HEPA filter to keep nasties,etc out of your wort. Might wanna look into that if you don't have one. NB has them.

There is a YouTube video where the Wyeast lab experiments with aeration levels. It concludes that you can reach minimum recommended aeration levels for typical yeast with just 45 seconds of vigorous shaking or frothy stirring.

Pouring through a strainer and stirring is all i've ever needed. Some aquarium pumps come with a built in hepa filter pad in their rubber bases. Try to find these ones.

There is a YouTube video where the Wyeast lab experiments with aeration levels. It concludes that you can reach minimum recommended aeration levels for typical yeast with just 45 seconds of vigorous shaking or frothy stirring.

I read a similar study from white labs that indicated similar results, 45-60 seconds. The same study also indicated it would take up to 10 minutes to get the same aeration levels from vigorously stirring.

I've heard of people using aquarium aerators for very high gravity brews (10%+). Think it's usually when fermenting is going to take two months+.

Back