Aerating with Williams O2 kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dermotstratton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, quick question. Just bought a Williams kit and going to use it for the first time.

I put regulator on red benzomatic oxgyen bottle. I tried a test run in sanitized water and I don't see any bubbles. So, then I decided to take the stone off and just sink the hose into the water. I see like 1 small bubble every couple of seconds. I was expected to see lots of bubbling and a higher O2 flow rate.

Anyone else have this problem before? I'll be ready to aerate in about 45 minutes, so any quick advice is greatly appreciated!

Obviously, that ain't right.

Either the cylinder is empty, or the "regulator" isn't opening, or there's something totally blocking the tubing...

Cheers!

I hated the regulator that came with the kit. I would turn it forever before any O2 came out and then it was almost fully open. I picked up a couple of actual O2 regulators with flow meters and now I KNOW what the LpM rate is, and I can actually see O2 coming out (hitting the surface of the wort). I picked up a second O2 wand from Williams, since that's really the only usable part to me. I use standard beer hose to connect the wand to the regulator (via swivel nut) and it's all good. :ban:

Before you start calling out how expensive the O2 regulator with the flow meter is, they're not. You can get brand new ones from Amazon for under $27. That will connect to a standard welding O2 tank (like a 20 cubic foot or larger) that will get you so many more batches than that tiny 1.2oz bottle. For under $40 you can get one that goes from 0-4LpM... Most welding gas supply stores will have the swivel nut you need to connect the 3/16" ID hose to the regulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
it won't help you now, but just get them on the phone next business day to get it squared away for next time. Looks like you're stuck with shaking for today.

Thanks for the quick replies. I end up aerating the old fashioned way. I used harvested yeast for the first time. Fermentation started 4 hours after pitching and it's going crazy this morning.

I'll have to go buy a new tank and see if that was the problem. I tried blowing through the wand/stone into a cup of water and not bubbles on the other end. Not sure if stone is clogged or if you need more pressure than my lungs can provide?

Hm, i just got a oxygen system too and didn't think about running a test run on water...but now I think I might. thanks

I would run it through some StarSan solution. That way not only do you test it but you sanitize it at the same time... :D I do that before I use my wand each time (as well as after using it). Spray down the rest of the wand that isn't submerged in StarSan so that it's also sanitized before use.

Did you handle the sintered stone with your fingers before connecting it? The oils on your fingers can clog up the stone.

I think I did touch the stone at one point, so maybe that is part of the problem. There is definitely something wrong with the bottle of O2 I bought and/or the regulator, though, because I don't see any significant flow, even without wand attached. I'm going to buy a new bottle for my next batch and rule out one of the variables.

I would definitely recommend doing a test run. It's not like not having O2 will ruin your batch, but it's frustrating when you plan on using a new tool during brew day and it's busted.

Put the stone end of the wand into a pot of water and boil it... That should remove the oil from your skin from it. I make it a point to NOT touch the stone, ever. I have one that's still in the plastic bag it came in (I just close it around the wand) and the other is wrapped in aluminum foil to protect it from any stray contact.

Didn't it come with instructions that said to boil the stone before first use? Even if you didn't handle it someone down the line might have. It's a good Idea to boil it after every few uses. The pores can get clogged with wort anyway.

I just get a pot of boiling water going and holding the rod it is attached to, just submerge the stone for a couple minutes.

Hey Goldiggie -- the two links you listed for the regulators -- they both fit a standard welding o2 tank? The 0-4 one looks like it would but 0-8 one I couldn't tell.

I just bought an o2 tank and want to pick the right regulator.--thanks!

Back