Aerate a Starter when Repitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctaylor73

Reaction score
If I am making a starter to repitch in order to finish off a beer that has stalled do I aerate it? Reason I ask is in theory "oxygen" is bad when introduced this late into the stage. Im 13 days in on a Saison that Im about to speed up the process with the French Saison 3711?

Won't the yeast use up all the oxygen by the time the starter is ready anyway?

Before you repitch that saison yeast, you might consider just raising the fermentation temperature. IIRC that yeast has a tendency to stall like that but if you get it up in the mid 70's it will start up again. Of course do a bit of research...I could be thinking of a different strain.

Its raised as much as possible. Now at 88 degrees and been in that ballpark for more than a week. Not sure on the oxygen.

Sorry, Ive been using Wyeast 3724 "Dupont Strain". Notoriously slow and will take a month or more to finish. Dont have the time, but Ill be doing it again in the summer when I dont have to baby it.

Back