Advice on using up last of my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danio

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm trying to use up my hops before buying more. I'd like to turn my current supply into 2 biggish IPAs. I have:

2oz Columbus pellets
2-3oz Chinook leaf
10oz citra
4oz simcoe

I have done lots of columbus+chinook ipas and know they are compatible. At the same time a 4-5 oz IPA is kinda small for my tastes. I also don't know if Citra+Simcoe are compatible? Maybe it'd be better to do citra+chinook and columbus+simcoe?

My typical grain bill is something like:

13lb 2-Row
1-2 lb Crystal 40-60
1lb Carapils
Sometimes some munich. All that can change of course, that's just my typical house brew.

Any advice on using up the last of these hops nicely?

Cheers,

Dan

I often use citra+simcoe in combo for mid and late additions, I quite like that pairing. I've got a nice IPA on tap right now that included a combo of chinook, citra, and simcoe from the mid additions through dry hop. With those 4 hops I don't think you can really go wrong with any combo you choose.

:mug:

Sweet. So basically I can't screw up. Well maybe I'll do chinook for bitter, simcoe and citra for flavor and citra for aroma. Then the other brew I'll use up what's left using the rest of my columbus for flavor I guess and not using any simcoe.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah you def cant go wrong with those hops, and you have enough that you could divvy them up without even needing any additional hops (9 oz for each batch)… Just throwing something out there (without knowing AA’s, you can adjust for desired bitterness):

Batch 1:
1.5 oz Chinook - 60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe - 15 or 20 minutes
1 oz Columbus, 1 oz Citra - 10 minutes
1 oz Columbus 1 oz Citra 0 min
2-3 oz Citra Dry Hop

Batch 2:
1.5 oz Chinook - 60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe – 15 or 20 minutes
2 oz Citra – 10 minutes
1 oz Simcoe, 1-2 oz Citra 0 minutes
1 oz Simcoe, 2 oz Citra Dry Hop

Those are going to be somewhat similar beers but they give you a taste of the difference between Columbus and Simcoe. Beer one will be a little earthier/danker while beer two will be a citrusy pine bomb.

Awesome. Thank you for the feedback kpr. I think I'll brew them up here this weekend, one Saturday and one Sunday.

I appreciate the feedback and detailed schedules. I've got a handle on what Chinook tastes like but I haven't figured out Columbus v. Simcoe for example. It'll be a good tasting exercise for me.

Dan

Back