Advice on Hefe Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
I brewed a hefeweizen last year using Wyeast's 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast, and it turned out pretty good. I'd like to brew a similar beer again, but want to dial down the bubblegum/banana flavor just a little. Any input on a different yeast? I'm thinking maybe the 3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast or 3333 German Wheat Yeast. Anyone have any experience with those? Thanks.

BTW, I fermented at the low end of the range for that yeast, so I don't think I can go less "fruity" by decreasing fermentation temp any further.

The only advice I can offer is if you're trying to tone down the fruity/bubblegum flavors, do not use White Labs WL300. That stuff's about as fruity as Richard Simmons in a sundress.

I haven't used the Wyeast you mention, so I can't offer anything there.

You say the low end of the range for that yeast, but what was the actual temp? I would bet that dropping the fermentation temps to around 65 would get rid of some of those flavors you aren't big on.

American wheat yeasts tend to be much less fruity than their German counterparts.

I had a Hefe/yeast post yesterday asking a different question but in my research I found that the WLP 320 has a lot less bannana/ fruity quality than the 300 and if fermented at lower temps, should give you what you are looking for.

I just kegged a hefe made with 3056, a Paulaner clone.

It turned out VERY fruity, with a LOT of bubblegum and quite a bit of banana. The finish is tart, which I was looking for, but I wish the esters were toned down.

I kept the temp for the first few days in the 60-65 range.

I understand that the lower temperatures will get rid of the banana flavor, but I have wondered if over pitching the yeast would accomplish the same thing.. correct me if Im wrong , but doesn't the bananna/bublegum flavor come from the esters produced as the yeast multiplies? it seems if we gave it less of a need to multiply as much, that we would in turn be cutting back on this ester production. I am a super newbie (batch 3 and 4 are fermenting right now) so I may be looking at it from the wrong angle.. just looking at all of this washed yeast I have from batch 1 and 2 :)
still learning..
learning I need a temp controller for my chest freezer.

I did a hefeweizen last night and I personally love the banana/bubblegum taste so I'm fermenting at room temp (~70) so should yield some very tasty banana bombs. I also underpitched in order to stress the yeast out a bit. My last hefe using wl300 was too clean for my taste (was in ferm chamber @65). You can just use wl300 at lower fermenting temps to gain the desired result.

Back