Advice on all-grain set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
I am finally moving to an all grain set up.

I will be buying all this stuff as soon as I receive feedback....thanks in advance!!!

I already have a 10 gallon round cooler that I will use as a Mash/Lauter Tun.

I believe that I have found the best internet deal on the SS hot liquor tanks and boil kettle.

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/brewing-equipment-1/brewing-kettles/brewing-kettles-heavy-duty-15-gallon-60-quart.html

I am a bit more unsure about the burners needed to go under the HLT and MLT. I have looked at the blichmans but $140 a pop is a little much...unless they are a must.

I have been looking at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SQ14-Single-Outdoor/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1318884980&sr=8-4

This will be a single tier system, so I will be purchasing a march pump to move the wort.

Would a plate chiller be recommended for 10 gallon batches?

Generally I would say that I am working with about $800 for the burners, the cooler conversion, the HLT and the Boil Kettle.

Any and all advice will be appreciated and taken into consideration.

Please let me know if I am dropping the ball here....I have been looking and researching for quite some time while I have saved the $ for these purchases.....but I also know that there is a wealth of knowledge on this site.

Looking forward to comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a SQ14 as do a lot of people here.. works great and at 45$.. hard to beat. Another burner to look at is the Bayou Classic KAB4 ... it seems to be very popular too. As far as chillers go, that is a personal preference ... I have the Blichmann Therminator and it works great ... I know many use an immersion chiller and I can definitely see some benefits to it that the Therminator doesn't offer. So in the end, it all makes beer you just need to decide what works for you. :mug:

Back