Advice on a Rye-weizenbock (partial mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlyBirdBrew

Reaction score
So working on developing my second recipe here. This is what I have so far:

5.5lbs LME (wheat)
2lbs Munich Malt
1.75lbs Rye Malt
1.5lbs Vienna Malt
1lbs Crystal Malt
.5lbs Caramel Wheat Malt

2oz Hallertau @ 60min
.25oz East Kent Goldings @ 15min (have these left over, not sure about this)

Yeast: Wyeast 3068

First question is simply what do you think of the recipe? I am going for a red/copper color and wanted to have enough rye to taste it and it is at 14% at the above ratio.

Second Question is that I would love to lager this on account that I picked up a fridge and johnson temp control and am itching to put them to use. I know typically a wheat or possibly a bavarian yeast like 3638 is used. What would using a lagering yeast do to this and would it defeat the purpose of brewing a weizenbock?

I'd cut back on the crystal, I think it'll cover up the rye. you could lager if you want, but most wheat beer flavors come from the yeast so itd kinda defeat the purpose

Thanks for the advice, I played around on beer calculus some and dropped the crystal by half. Still keeps me within style and allows me to have all the flavors I want shining through. Looks like I should be ready for a brew day this weekend.

Back