Advice for a brewer who doesn't drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the OP was a troll. I also don't care what he does or doesn't do. But I do think he's nuts, and probably not the type of person I'd enjoy hanging out with, which I'm sure many people would say about me too.

I know this all sounds crazy, and maybe it is, but apparently it fits my personality, because everyone who knows me accepts it as just an extension of me.

... I want to go to meet ups, but I have an anxiety about telling them all this when I don't drink with them while talking about this great hobby.

I love sharing beer. If they are worth associating with they won't bat an eye if you tell them. Try a meeting at a few different clubs and see how they warm up to you.

Walks in thread for a 2nd time now, shakes head, walks back out .

Starts own thread "Advice For Someone Not Diabetic, But Wants Insulin Injections Anyway"....

I would like to know just how many of us got into brewing simply because we loved beer...99.99%? How would one get into brewing their very first batch if they did not like beer AT ALL. It might be possible if you already had friends that brewed, but he said he's the brewer in his circle of friends.

Back to the music analogy...would you ever START playing music if you hated it?

I keep going back and forth, but I'm currently thinking troll.

I would like to know just how many of us got into brewing simply because we loved beer...99.99%? How would one get into brewing their very first batch if they did not like beer AT ALL. It might be possible if you already had friends that brewed, but he said he's the brewer in his circle of friends.

I keep going back and forth, but I'm currently thinking troll.

Honestly, I had only a passing interest in beer when I started brewing. I liked it fine enough, but I think the most exotic beer I'd ever had was a SNPA. I mostly drank Carlsberg, which was the Coors of where I was living at the time.

I don't think I would have stuck with it if I didn't start really enjoying the beer itself, but then again I meet people weirder than brewers who don't like beer at least weekly. Seriously, there's an entire booming subculture of people who are sexually attracted to stuffed animals.

Not to be a stickler, and I agree with you, but many kids are sent by their parents to Piano or Violin lessons that hate it. And there are plenty of kids that pickup an instrument or singing just to look cool and get chicks and couldn't really care less about music. This extends past music of course, as a prior skateboarder for years there was a very visible trend of "Posers".

Rev.

images

Rev2010 said:
Not to be a stickler, and I agree with you, but many kids are sent by their parents to Piano or Violin lessons that hate it. And there are plenty of kids that pickup an instrument or singing just to look cool and get chicks and couldn't really care less about music. This extends past music of course, as a prior skateboarder for years there was a very visible trend of "Posers".

Rev.

Ha! Posers! Now there's a term I havent heard in a loooong time. I road a skateboard for years and we loved making fun of the guys who went everywhere with their board under their ARM instead of under their feet!

So Rev, is this guy a poser then?

They use to have a popular mayor who would go around hooting like an owl if that gives you an idea.

Strange as it is, it's better than the chaos of Seattle. Plenty of interesting stuff there and lots of things to take my daughter to.

Yea, he was a cooky kinda guy. His name is Bud Clark. I kinda liked him.

We just got rid of Sam Adams as mayor. Gay guy that had a fling with a 17 year old intern named Breedlove. I'm not making this up either.

Diaperload said:
Yea, he was a cooky kinda guy. His name is Bud Clark. I kinda liked him.

We just got rid of Sam Adams as mayor. Gay guy that had a fling with a 17 year old intern named Breedlove. I'm not making this up either.

Seems like you had an "interesting" woman mayor somewhere in between also.

No shortage of odd people there that's for sure.

10 years ago, I was still a vegan working a second job at a pizza place in Jersey. I allegedly made a really good cheesesteak, despite the fact that I had never tasted it. So I understand in that aspect.

To all the questioners, keep in mind that Beethoven was deaf.

I find myself enjoying the brewing process as much as I do drinking the product so I can sympathize, but if I didn't drink beer, I probably wouldn't brew it.

But to each their own.

Well, Beethoven didn't start losing his hearing until he was 26. So he had pretty much already grasped the idea of music.

My opinion to the original poster is to at the very least, taste your creation. You allude to the fact that you're afraid of getting drunk and getting into a fist fight. Well, at 15, it's pretty easy to get drunk. You're twice as old now and hopefully more mature and responsible. Brewing beer is not only science, but passion as well. Reading everything and knowing everything written about something isn't the same as experiencing it. You can tell someone who was born blind that the sky is blue, but they will never know what that's like until they can actually see it.

This stupid thread is still going on? I've seen much better threads locked with almost no cause. Just lock this damn thing. It was a crock to begin with and the OP hasn't even been on the FORUM in almost a month.

This stupid thread is still going on? I've seen much better threads locked with almost no cause. Just lock this damn thing. It was a crock to begin with and the OP hasn't even been on the FORUM in almost a month.

Hear hear. I've been out of the country for two weeks and didn't realize how many replies have already been made to this thread. But at least I'm not the only one who keeps posting to it! :D

What is all the fuzz about? Somebody enjoys making beer but not drinking it, that's all. We all have our reasons for brewing, and many of us enjoy the art of brewing just as much as drinking beer. Many people enjoy drinking beer, but not brewing it. When there's one person who likes brewing but not drinking, is that really that disturbing to you?

Agreed, let it die. I got what I wanted from it.

Which, believe it or not, wasn't to troll anyone. I'm still here, still reading threads, brewed a holiday stout last weekend.

MalFet said:
People who resurrect week-old threads to announce that trolls shouldn't be fed should themselves be fed to the trolls. ;)
ROFL! HA-HA-HA!!! You are SO right. I just logged in y-day and this thread is subscribed. Didn't even bother to check out the date of the last post! Sorry about that!

thisisjohnbrown said:

Which, believe it or not, wasn't to troll anyone. I'm still here, still reading threads, brewed a holiday stout last weekend.

thisisjohnbrown said:

thisisjohnbrown said:

Back