Adjusting pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Can someone please clarify when to take a mash pH reading and the best way to adjust pH.
When do you take a Ph reading ?
If the pH is too high - do you adjust it and how ? Or do you note the reading and adjust the next batch ?

It depends on what you are brewing... but typically about 15 minutes into the mash is when you take your pH reading...

You should have an idea of what adjustments you'll make before you start brewing... (use brewing software)

Use either Gypsum or Calcium Chloride to bring the pH down... or Chalk to bring pH up...

Before I start mashing I add CaCl, CaSO4, pH5.2 and occasionally lactic acid as well - sometime the pH of my water is higher than normal.
If I take a reading 15 mins into the mash and find the pH is too high should I add lactic to bring it down ?
Or should I add more CaCl/CaSO4 ?

Lactic is much more effective than calcium chloride or calcium sulfate in reducing your mash ph. You can also use acidulated malt in your grain bill - 2% to 3% by weight. See the stickies in the Brew Science section for some excellent info on water adjustments.

If I see my mash pH is too high during the mash - do I adjust it by adding lactic or do I add lactic to the next batch ?
In other words is there any point to adjusting the mash when its already 15mins in ?

Yes, I find it's ok to adjust 15 minutes into the mash. That's usually when I do it.

Some people dough in at 104*F (40C), adjust the mash pH, then raise the mash temp. This method will only work if your mash is direct fired because if you have to add more water to raise the mash temp that will change the pH.

Yes, I find it's ok to adjust 15 minutes into the mash. That's usually when I do it.

Some people dough in at 104*F (40C), adjust the mash pH, then raise the mash temp. This method will only work if your mash is direct fired because if you have to add more water to raise the mash temp that will change the pH.

You know, I've never thought about it. But I have a HERMS and could easily do that. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the reply.
Ive got direct fired (RIMS) but surely that would change the character of the finished beer as conversion starts at lower temps ?

Latest posts

Back