Adjusting extract recipefor steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I am about to brew a Cincinatti Pale Ale as described in John Palmer's book, which is an extract-only recipe (i.e. no steeping grains) using a total of 5.1 lbs of DME. I want to spice it up a little bit by steeping 0.5 pounds of 20-lov Crystal malt before the boil.
I was wondering by what amount I need to reduce the amount of extract I add to stay close to the same OG of 1.045? Or would it be "safe" to add the crystal malt without adjustment to end up with a slightly bigger beer that's still true to style?

Crystal malt is kilned to convert the starches to sugars, so it doesn't need to be mashed. What I'm trying to say is that you'll get color and flavor from steeping it but it will not change your gravity, or reduce your need for any extract. It's used "in addition to", not to replace any fermentables.

It should work out great, and add some flavor to your beer.

YooperBrew said:
Crystal malt is kilned to convert the starches to sugars, so it doesn't need to be mashed. What I'm trying to say is that you'll get color and flavor from steeping it but it will not change your gravity, or reduce your need for any extract. It's used "in addition to", not to replace any fermentables.

It should work out great, and add some flavor to your beer.

thanks , well said. I'm learning alot on this forum.

YooperBrew said:
but it will not change your gravity
Not entirely true.

Crystal grain will increase the gravity slightly since it does contain sugars. However, those sugars are complex and not fermentable. So, the OG will be slightly higher, but the FG will be higher by the same amount (hence the added body).

Yooper's advice is correct, though, in that Crystal grains should never be used in place of another fermentable sugar since the majority of their content is not fermentable.

The gravity range of Pale Ale is one of the broadest, so no problem there. The addition you are planning will probably add 2 points to OG and FG.

Back